Thursday, July 30, 2009

Porch time


My husband likes to read, plan projects, watch the birds, process and think whenever he sits out on our 25-foot long porch. He craves solitude and energizes from it. He thrives on what he dubs "porch time." When we had this cabin built in 2002, my good friend and principal of the high school where I worked lauded the value of time to process all the information that bombards us daily. He commended Dave for his porch time. Even in cold weather my husband dons his ski parka and sits out there for long stretches of time.
On the other hand, I'll admit to being a fair-weather porch sitter, but I do find it refreshing to work out there in these summer months. I pick wild flowers and place various arrangements on the porch table. This small table also accommodates the lap top, my Bible, some gardening tools, and whatever books I'm in the process of reading. Despite the clutter on the table, I relish the views of the trees, four bird feeders, and the field of wild flowers, the fruit of my husband's sowing boxes of wild flower seeds the first four summers we came out here for vacations.
I now take the time to unwind, to simply appreciate the beauty of all that surrounds us here. I also write, read or talk with my husband or the kids when they call. Echoing Thoreau, I purpose to live "intentionally" in these woods. And I try to process what I read, see or hear and not just drink in ever increasing draughts from our information-laden society. I'll be posting this later tonight because I'm headed back out to the porch. Hope you get some porch time yourself today.

2 comments:

  1. I SO love my porch time. Two summers ago, Julia had to head down to Mississippi for some military training for eight weeks. I had the privilege of watching Shawn who was 14 months old at the time.

    We spent practically our entire summer out on our porch. It's wonderful to hear the wind, the birds and the occasional sound of rain falling. I totally agree. There's nothing like porch time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flo!
    One of the missing pieces in our new life in TX is our screened in porch – I spent many wonderful hours in the one God provided in MD. Early morning, coffee – the Bible and my journal – and a classical radio station.

    Many quiet evenings – sometimes watching the rain – what a blessing a porch is.

    ReplyDelete