Sunday, October 11, 2009

Autumn Glory

Garrett County celebrates Autumn Glory the second weekend of October. This year marked the 42nd annual festival. While craft shows, parades, state fiddle championships, quilt shows, turkey dinners and pumpkin races in the white water facilities dominate the weekend, God paints the true beauty.

I think of autumn metaphorically in terms of being wrapped up in down comforter, experiencing a delightful cocoon. Though insulated in warmth, all the senses explode! This season offers the spectacular colors of leaves and mums, chilly morning air, hot chai lattes, my favorite pumpkin cake recipe, the warmth of the gas fireplace, the distinctive crunch of a Granny Smith apple, and the Choral Society's practice of Christmas music.

I love seeing new things in my more leisurely days of retirement. So although I have seen myriads of brown oak leaves, the red ones over on Turkey Run Road got my attention. Dave stopped the car and took the photo above. I captured the more traditional mums, pumpkins, and hay along side of the last of summer's perennials. Both speak to my love of autumn and drw my heart to the Creator.

Psalm 9 says,
"I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High."

No comments:

Post a Comment