Sunday, November 22, 2009

God-centered or Man-centered?


While at worship in Statesboro, Georgia this morning, I thought about the way I express thanks at this time of year when we gather around the Thanksgiving table. Most thoughts cast a look back at the people, blessings and lessons of the past year(s). Always a stickler for supporting details instead of mere generalizations, I have added several times this month to a list of specifics in my prayer journal. A sovereign God has allowed family, friends, teachers, choir directors, pastors and neighbors to walk alongside me, and for them, I am thankful. Around the people, God has swirled events and lessons in His work of making me look more and more like Jesus. Yet, the bulk of my thanksgiving centers on the past and on me. But what about giving thanks to God for the present and future?

Each day I need to thank God for His strength in my life, calling upon Him as my great physician and asking Him to superintend my day's activities, my heart, my tongue. I also should remember to thank God that His presence to guide me offers tangible proof of  my daily need for direction and His kind willingness to lead. How aware am I of thanking God daily? Do I presume on grace? As the apostle Paul puts it, "May it never, never be." So I will think more of thanking God in the present.

I also want to thank God for the future, captured in the youthfulness of Little Stuff as she stood by the duck pond on Saturday. Only in Jesus Christ can I offer

hope to her and to those God brings into my life this coming year. Whether princes and countries rise or fall, whether the economy rebounds or continues in a slump, whether I know pain or good health, the sovereign Lord holds all peoples and events in His gracious hands. How I thank Him for the assurance of the future.

As we gather to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, I will endeavor to make the day one that focuses more on God than man. How?  By casting a concentrated look at things present and future and thanking God for them. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a well-thought lesson. I am so thankful for God's love and care in each detail of my life. I need to be thankful each day that I can turn it all over to Him - and trust Him. Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete